Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Increasing Vocabulary

So I've been using Ubuntu in Mandarin for quite a long time now, and one thing I have yet to master is OpenOffice. My OpenOffice Word is in Chinese but I don't understand a lot of the vocabulary just because I haven't taken the time to look them up. Therefore, I am going to learn all of it in one fell swoop.

Click to enlarge


I have taken pictures of all of the words in the menus for both the English and Mandarin version. I am working now on putting each picture side by side with it's equivalent in the other language as seen in the picture above. It's taking forever, but hopefully I can learn some more technical vocabulary from it.

OpenOffice remains one of the few programs on my computer that I have yet to master in Mandarin. Most of my programs do not have too many options, so it usually doesn't take very long to learn the new vocabulary used in them.

Putting your computer in the language you are learning is a great way to increase your vocabulary and grow accustom to the sentence structure. However, you MUST take the time to look up the words that you do not know, otherwise you will never advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment